The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Hej!
Sorry, but my swedish is not that good.. :-)

In the summer 2013 I will be cycling from the Netherlands to the Nordkapp via the Baltic counties and Sweden. In the past, I have found that if you don't plan an approximate route, it is easy to end up on main roads, and miss the nicest parts. I am putting together a planned route for the trip. The Swedish part is here: http://lambchopeindhoven.wordpress.com/biking-2013/sweden-2013/

I am keen to hear your ideas on this route, and any suggestions that you might have! :-)

Thanks for your help!!

Matthew
 

Fikasvettot

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
'Cykelspåret' is probably a good idea. just be prepared for some gravel roads, and it's not the shortest route. But it's generally on roads with low traffic.
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Fikasvettot skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'Cykelspåret' is probably a good idea. just be
> prepared for some gravel roads, and it's not the
> shortest route. But it's generally on roads with
> low traffic.


Thanks. Gravel roads don't worry me. They tend to be the prettiest roads. I would much rather them to roads with lots of traffic.

All the best!! :-)

Matthew
 

Hasse#7

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Hi! I sometimes bicycle in the parts 100 km north of Haparanda. Mosquitos some years are terrible when you stop the bicycle, especially if you stop close to woods and water. While bicycling they are not a problem. The eastside is rather flat, but I think you will meet beautiful scenery in the north part. Haven´t been there myself i´m sorry to say. Good luck and safe journey! Geluk en goede reis.
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Hasse#7 skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi! I sometimes bicycle in the parts 100 km north
> of Haparanda. Mosquitos some years are terrible
> when you stop the bicycle, especially if you stop
> close to woods and water. While bicycling they are
> not a problem. The eastside is rather flat, but I
> think you will meet beautiful scenery in the north
> part. Haven´t been there myself i´m sorry to
> say. Good luck and safe journey! Geluk en goede
> reis.

Thanks for the best wishes. I will have my mosquito repellent ready for when I stop.. :-) Will be an amazing trip! :-)
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
jonas-ni skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was the route for Sverigetempot last summer.
>
> http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=210880421104473
> 017182.00048119ce4394a442651&msa=0


Hi. Thanks for the map. Is the Sverigetempot a nice route? It passes through the middle of Sweden. Is it nice scenery? I guess it is pretty hilly.. :-)

Thanks!

Matthew
 

mzi

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Half (the northern part) of Sweden is dense forest, so it's probably nicer views at the coast.
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
mzi skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Half (the northern part) of Sweden is dense
> forest, so it's probably nicer views at the coast.

I guess the coast might be more varied. I will be leaving the coast, though, at the top of the Gulf. I see the Sverieleden paths don't follow the Swedish/Finnish border like I am planning in the far north (http://www.svenska-cykelsallskapet.se/images/sveledbild.pdf). Does anyone have experience on this part of the trip? I guess that far north, all roads are small and pretty.
 

mzi

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
If you want to follow the border I would say that Väg 99 is the best option and it looks like this; you be the judge!
 

tropfrog

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
I have done the opposite direction. Sverieleden from karesuando to piteå is nice scenery. My guess is that you will get nicer scenery following the sverieleden than the border. The locals tend to drive very fast on the bigger roads, so for your safety sverieleden is a better route as well. Just make sure you have food for at least 2 days, preferably 3. Supermarkets is not in every corner up here.

Best
Magnus
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
mzi skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you want to follow the border I would say that
> Väg 99 is the best option and it looks like this;
> you be the judge!

Good idea! Google maps. All the options in the far north look pretty much the same. I guess forest it is.. :-)
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
tropfrog skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have done the opposite direction. Sverieleden
> from karesuando to piteå is nice scenery. My
> guess is that you will get nicer scenery following
> the sverieleden than the border. The locals tend
> to drive very fast on the bigger roads, so for
> your safety sverieleden is a better route as well.
> Just make sure you have food for at least 2 days,
> preferably 3. Supermarkets is not in every corner
> up here.
>
> Best
> Magnus


Hi Magnus,
Yes, I think the Sverigeleden looks like a good idea! :-)

It sounds quite exciting being that far away from everything. I will indeed take enough food with me. Don't want to go hungry.. :-)
 

jonas-ni

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
I like forests and few cars so I enjoyed that route. Kiruna to Riksgränsen is scenic.

From what I have been told the route in Norway from Riksgränsen to Nordkapp is very, very beautiful and somewhat hard, all the more so if it is windy.
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
jonas-ni skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like forests and few cars so I enjoyed that
> route. Kiruna to Riksgränsen is scenic.
>
> From what I have been told the route in Norway
> from Riksgränsen to Nordkapp is very, very
> beautiful and somewhat hard, all the more so if it
> is windy.


Hi Jonas. I cycled through northern Norway this summer from the Lofoten islands to the North Cape. I passed some of the most beautiful places on the planet. The Lofoten islands and Senja island were my favourites. The trip motivated me to go there again, this time starting from home, and taking a different route.

I like the sound of the routes in the north of Sweden. Looking forward to cycling there!!

Matthew
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
access skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a bit late to the game but here's a map of a
> quite a few routes:
> http://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/en/ some of
> them with signs, some without.
>
> Edit: Heh, I see that you already found
> OpenStreetMap. :)


Hey there. Thanks for the tip! Indeed, I have used lots of trails from that site. Really cool. Although, some of the EuroVelo route towards Paris in northern France does not exist yet, although it is on the map.. (Roads along a canal that haven't been built yet.) Still, I guess the routes suggested in Sweden are normal roads, so that should be fine..

What is your opinion on the northern part of my Swedish route? It is quite a big detour. I am now starting to consider following the Swedish/Finnish border northwards. Like all things on this route, the final decision will happen when I am there, of course.. :-)

Thanks and all the best!

Matthew
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Hi all.
Two weeks to go now before I leave Eindhoven on my bike, heading to the North Cape through Sweden. I have been training a lot in the last months - in Holland, Belgium, France and the UK. Here is a little video of my trip:

Looking forward to seeing Sweden, and catching up with some of you!! :-)

Matthew
 

jomper

Forumpappa
Forumvärd
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
I would bring one more extra tube.

How are you planning to charge your electronic stuff?

I am no real tourer but I have used ortlieb bags for a few weeks and they are really dry even in heavy rain - if you close them correctly. You se to many people riding with these nice bags and dont use them they way they are supposed to!
 

mzi

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
+1 on more tubes. They are not that heavy and you can fix them in the tent in the evning. You probably don't want to be stuck in the rain trying to patch a faulty tube.

If you can charge your phone have a look at MapsWithMe that has off-line maps if you have problem with reception.
 

MarcusS

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
I would bring some zip ties, a small bottle super glue and some gaffa tape rolled on the pump. These things can solve a lot a problems that might occur on the road.

Good luck!
 

jomper

Forumpappa
Forumvärd
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Both zipties and duct tape have saved me in various situations, I can almost certainly promise you will need it.
 

wobblie

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
I've been driving following the border from Haparanda to Treriksröset. I wouldn't consider the traffic too heavy, but you'll see cars every now and then. The landscape is beautiful along the river, and in the mountains up north. Quite a lot of forest too.

There might be quite long distances without anywhere to buy food, so make sure to bring enough. Also remember to enjoy some local food when you find it, like reindeer and smoked fish - delicious! The water in the river that makes up the border is drinkable in case you don't find tap water.

I saw you asking about dangers on your blog, there aren't many, most wildlife is reindeers that you'll see a lot of. There are bears around, but they are very shy (I haven't seen one, and you probably won't either) but I would consider not keeping my food inside the tent. Biggest problem is mosquitos, I strongly recommend that you bring mosquito repellent and also a mosquito net over your head if you need to stop for some time in the middle of nowhere.
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
jomper skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would bring one more extra tube.
>
> How are you planning to charge your electronic
> stuff?
>
> I am no real tourer but I have used ortlieb bags
> for a few weeks and they are really dry even in
> heavy rain - if you close them correctly. You se
> to many people riding with these nice bags and
> dont use them they way they are supposed to!

Hi there jomper. I have 2 external batteries (5000mAh each) and 3 spare smart phone batteries. I will charge all the batteries when at camping grounds. I don't expect to be away from power more than 3 days. Is that realistic?

I already have a spare inner tube. Would you take 2?

Looking forward to the Ortlieb bags. I will use them properly. :-)

Thanks for the tips!
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
mzi skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> +1 on more tubes. They are not that heavy and you
> can fix them in the tent in the evning. You
> probably don't want to be stuck in the rain trying
> to patch a faulty tube.
>
> If you can charge your phone have a look at
> MapsWithMe that has off-line maps if you have
> problem with reception.

Thanks for the tip. What is the reception like in northern Sweden? There was always reception in Norway when I was there last year. I am also taking paper maps.
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
MarcusS skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would bring some zip ties, a small bottle super
> glue and some gaffa tape rolled on the pump. These
> things can solve a lot a problems that might occur
> on the road.
>
> Good luck!


Great tips. I forgot the zipties, and they are always useful. The glue and tape too, I am sure. They're going on my list! Thanks!
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Ermokratis skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good luck mate, exciting project!


Thanks. I am certainly excited!
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
jomper skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both zipties and duct tape have saved me in
> various situations, I can almost certainly promise
> you will need it.


Yes. I have been in situations when I needed them. They're now going on my list. :-)
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
mzi skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can wrap a couple of meters of duct tape
> around your pump.

Yes! Duct tape is on my list now! Thanks ;-)
 

mzi

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
I have not been that high up in quite a while, so I don't know. I know that in the middle of Sweden that the reception can be very on-off depending on local geography.

If I was planing to be away from electricity in three days, I would bring at least four spare tubes. If you get cold you get sloppy, and can easily pinch mount one tube and then you are completly out.
 

jomper

Forumpappa
Forumvärd
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
> grounds. I don't expect to be away from power more
> than 3 days. Is that realistic?

Sounds so. I have a 5A battery (Justmobile Gumplus) wich has been sufficient for a week of smartphone usage (flight mode except a few hours every morning and evening) when kayaking. Honestly I think you are well equipped here :)

> I already have a spare inner tube. Would you take
> 2?

I would. Worst case would be a double flat in wet weather or a tube that gets pinched when you change after a flat.

That said I have done 4 weeks of touring with my wife (about 600-700k each on sicily, sardinia and x 2 on the swedish island gotland) on partly rough gravel roads and trails with cyclocross bikes and, probably by luck, did not have any flats. No special tyres or tubes. Probably because we had a few innertubes..

The worst incidents were a broken pedal axle and a lost scew on an ortlieb bag. Fortunately the spare cleat screws I had was the right dimension. They also work for the rack and/or fender fittings on most bikes!
 
Senast ändrad:

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
wobblie skrev:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been driving following the border from
> Haparanda to Treriksröset. I wouldn't consider
> the traffic too heavy, but you'll see cars every
> now and then. The landscape is beautiful along the
> river, and in the mountains up north. Quite a lot
> of forest too.
>
> There might be quite long distances without
> anywhere to buy food, so make sure to bring
> enough. Also remember to enjoy some local food
> when you find it, like reindeer and smoked fish -
> delicious! The water in the river that makes up
> the border is drinkable in case you don't find tap
> water.
>
> I saw you asking about dangers on your blog, there
> aren't many, most wildlife is reindeers that
> you'll see a lot of. There are bears around, but
> they are very shy (I haven't seen one, and you
> probably won't either) but I would consider not
> keeping my food inside the tent. Biggest problem
> is mosquitos, I strongly recommend that you bring
> mosquito repellent and also a mosquito net over
> your head if you need to stop for some time in the
> middle of nowhere.

Would bears come into my tent if there was food in it? ??? Where should I put the food then? In Canada we hid it in under piles of rocks or in trees. Is that neccesary?

Which mosquito repellant would you recommend? I have heard only certain ones work with the hungry swedish ones. :-)

Thanks for your help!
 

mzi

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
No, bears won't come near you. But if you want to minimize the almost infinite small risk, then store your food outside of the tent.
 

wobblie

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
> Would bears come into my tent if there was food in
> it? ??? Where should I put the food then? In
> Canada we hid it in under piles of rocks or in
> trees. Is that neccesary?
>
Any bear encounter is unlikely, but why not hang it in a tree to be sure?

> Which mosquito repellant would you recommend? I
> have heard only certain ones work with the hungry
> swedish ones. :-)
>
> Thanks for your help!

OFF or MyggA works well, and probably anything you find in a local store. Just remember that you have to apply it again after a while.
 

arctic-cycler

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Hey all. Thanks for your really helpful advice! I have just come back from the shop with duct tape, super glue and cable ties. :-)

I'm looking forward to visiting your country, and hugging a few bears (in my tent). :-)
 

GoranS

Aktiv medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Good luck on the Swedish leg of your tour. I suspect you will see a few trees in our country as well. ;-)

Edit: spelling
 
Senast ändrad:

CyberBike

Ny medlem
The Netherlands to Nordkapp via Baltic countries and Sweden
Hi,
Hope you will have a very good one !!! Hug the bears, eat or kill the mosquitos, eat the reindeer and fox roadkill, the duct-tape will for sure fix any type of problem, don't try the 3-lane wire-roads with a bike, if things are bad -> have a whiskey and relax an extra day, then stay at http://www.kukkolaforsen.se/start.htm ... Enjoy the rivers, the whitewater-parts are the best !!!
 
Topp
Happyride sparar data i cookies. Genom att använda våra tjänster godkänner du det. Läs mer