Looking to buy first road or gravel bike

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
Hello,

Sorry for my english, but I'm living in Sweden and need a bike here. Since this is Sweden's nicest bike forum I hope it isn't a problem.

I want to get into road biking for exercise and planning to take a bike vacation on the Kattegattleden route over the summer. Not the whole route but my goal is to ride maybe 1/3 of the distance.

I am not sure which bike to buy, could you offer some tips?

So far I found a few that seemed good, but I'm not sure what to pick.

Some ideas for around 9000-10000kr were:
White GX per 20
White RR Pro 20
Canyon Roadlite or Endurace 6.0
Decathlon Triban RC 520

I was also interested in something like Trek FX 1 or 2 for cheaper.

Let me know if any of these seem good or if you have another idea. Thanks!

aki

Aktiv medlem
I would choose a bike with drop bars, disc brakes, and room for decently wide tyres. That leads me to either the Triban or the White GX Pro 20. Both have good components and the White even hydraulic disc brakes. I also like the small 46/30 crankset, as I think many people have larger gears than they need. This one also seem to have the more modern 12mm wheel axles. The head tube angle on the Triban is steeper (racier), but other than that both geometries leans towards comfort.

salle

Aktiv medlem
+1 on the White gx Pro. XXL regularly have it on sale as well, last week they had 20% discount on it. Or perhaps look for a used one here on Köp&sälj or Blocket.

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
I would choose a bike with drop bars, disc brakes, and room for decently wide tyres. That leads me to either the Triban or the White GX Pro 20. Both have good components and the White even hydraulic disc brakes. I also like the small 46/30 crankset, as I think many people have larger gears than they need. This one also seem to have the more modern 12mm wheel axles. The head tube angle on the Triban is steeper (racier), but other than that both geometries leans towards comfort.
Thank you for the help.

I'm thinking of going with the White GX Pro 20. I like the idea of buying from XXL since they have a store near me and I could take it in for service.

They don't seem to clarify tire clearance for either xxl bikes on xxl's website or on their official White bikes site. Do either GX or RR allow a rack and mud guards?

One last thought. I don't know enough about riding in Sweden, will the type of riding I'm planning be overkill with a gravel? I'm in Göteborg btw if that gives you any info.

Senast ändrad:

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
+1 on the White gx Pro. XXL regularly have it on sale as well, last week they had 20% discount on it. Or perhaps look for a used one here on Köp&sälj or Blocket.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for the sales. I've been watching used bikes but haven't seen something that suits me so far.

Senast ändrad:

aki

Aktiv medlem
Just from looking at the pictures, the fork looks as it has room for much wider tyres than the 37mm in the picture. In the rear I don't know, maybe you can check it in the store. I also see attaching points for fenders both front and rear.
Is your question if the bike will be overkill? A gravel is more or less a road bike with wider tyres. You can always mount narrow road-tires if you want to.

SIE

Aktiv medlem
[QUOTE = "aki, post: 3740331, member: 11433"]
I would choose a bike with drop bars, disc brakes, and room for decently wide tires. That leads me to either the Triban or the White GX Pro 20. Both have good components and the White even hydraulic disc brakes. I also like the small 46/30 crankset, as I think many people have larger gears than they need. This one also seems to have the more modern 12mm wheel axles. The head tube angle on the Triban is steeper, but other than that, both geometries lean towards comfort.
[/ Quote]
Thank you for the help.

I'm thinking of going with the White GX Pro 20. I like the idea of buying from XXL since they have a store near me and I could take it in for service.

They don't seem to clarify tire clearance for either xxl bikes on xxl's website or on their official White bikes site. Do either GX or RR allow a rack and mud guards?

One last thought. I don't know enough about riding in Sweden, will the type of riding I'm planning be overkill with a gravel? I'm in Göteborg btw if that gives you any info.
Göteborgs cobblestones, tram tracks and shitty roads in general makes gravel tyres a good choice for commuting and doing errands around town. I live in Göteborg and my gravel bike is used for exactly that, along with the occasional gravel stroll around the Delsjön area. However, if you are looking for miles and miles of gravel roads then Göteborg will let you down IMHO.

salle

Aktiv medlem
I really like my Panaracer Gravel Kings 38mm tires. If you mount them tubeless then it´s a perfect set up for commuting imho.

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
Just from looking at the pictures, the fork looks as it has room for much wider tyres than the 37mm in the picture. In the rear I don't know, maybe you can check it in the store. I also see attaching points for fenders both front and rear.
Is your question if the bike will be overkill? A gravel is more or less a road bike with wider tyres. You can always mount narrow road-tires if you want to.
I tried to email them about the tires but no answer. I'll see when it's in the store again, now it's sold out.

What sizing for road tires should I go for, and what would you estimate it costing?

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
Göteborgs cobblestones, tram tracks and shitty roads in general makes gravel tyres a good choice for commuting and doing errands around town. I live in Göteborg and my gravel bike is used for exactly that, along with the occasional gravel stroll around the Delsjön area. However, if you are looking for miles and miles of gravel roads then Göteborg will let you down IMHO.
That sounds great, I think gravel is the way to go!

Peth

Aktiv medlem
I tried to email them about the tires but no answer. I'll see when it's in the store again, now it's sold out.

What sizing for road tires should I go for, and what would you estimate it costing?
For road tires I would go for 28-32 mm on a bike like that. A god tire will cost somewhere between 300 - 600 SEK a pop, with Conti GP5000 at about 500 SEK being the Happy go to tire at the moment.

zinkpasta

Aktiv medlem
I'm riding the 2019 version of this bike, in Göteborg. It came with decent tyres (Schwalbe G-one, 35(?)mm) and can be fitted with f.ex. SKS Longboard mudguards. So if it hasn't changed too much in the last year, it's more or less good to go.

Edit: I've mounted a rack as well. Can't remember which though, but I can find out tomorrow and post up a picture.

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
I'm riding the 2019 version of this bike, in Göteborg. It came with decent tyres (Schwalbe G-one, 35(?)mm) and can be fitted with f.ex. SKS Longboard mudguards. So if it hasn't changed too much in the last year, it's more or less good to go.

Edit: I've mounted a rack as well. Can't remember which though, but I can find out tomorrow and post up a picture.
Cool, that is good to hear. Are you happy with the bike?

A picture would be nice. Thank you.

salle

Aktiv medlem
Have you got the White GX Pro 20? Would you say the gravel kings are a better tire than what it comes with then?
Nope, got a Norco cross for commuting.
On my road bike I’ve got the above mentioned conti5000 28 mm tubeless. But I like some wider tires for commuting but it seems like it comes with descent tires mounted from store so just start with them.

zinkpasta

Aktiv medlem
@mrbikeman
First off: Actually I lied, mine was a 2018 :-). Anyways - I'm happy with the bike, I'm using it as a all-year/alll-weather commuter for Göteborg (mainly in the city). It feels quite robust, not the most lively or nice looking but does it's job w/o hassle. Also liked that you get hydraulic brakes at that price point. The 2020 version seems better in every regard (axles, geometry, looks ..), the one thing that was a bit off on mine was the size - I'm 190cm and am riding a size L, and even then I had to change to a shorter stem (80mm) than than the original to get a good position.

The rack I'm using is Axiom Streamliner Road DLX.

With SKS Longboards:
1589547214820.png

With SKS Raceblade Pro XL (summer edition :-) ):
1589547658253.png

SIE

Aktiv medlem
@mrbikeman
First off: Actually I lied, mine was a 2018 :-). Anyways - I'm happy with the bike, I'm using it as a all-year/alll-weather commuter for Göteborg (mainly in the city). It feels quite robust, not the most lively or nice looking but does it's job w/o hassle. Also liked that you get hydraulic brakes at that price point. The 2020 version seems better in every regard (axles, geometry, looks ..), the one thing that was a bit off on mine was the size - I'm 190cm and am riding a size L, and even then I had to change to a shorter stem (80mm) than than the original to get a good position.

With SKS Longboards:
Visa bilaga 417205

Visa bilaga 417206
Inbillar mig att jag såg en sån idag längs Dag Hammarskjöld-leden (cykelvägen alltså) vid 9:30-hugget.. var det du/din?

zinkpasta

Aktiv medlem
Inbillar mig att jag såg en sån idag längs Dag Hammarskjöld-leden (cykelvägen alltså) vid 9:30-hugget.. var det du/din?
Nja, jag cyklade iofs Kungsladugård <-> Trek-verkstan idag, men det var typ vid 11.. och genade över Slottsskogen. Så - it wasn't me. :-)

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
@mrbikeman

With SKS Longboards:
Visa bilaga 417205

Visa bilaga 417206
Thanks so much for the info and photos! Cool to see how it looks and that it fits everything.

I think it looks good for the price, I'll test it at xxl before I buy in case size is a problem. Thanks again.

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
Saw the bike is on sale today. Made the purchase online just now, but I noticed there aren't pedals included.

Can someone recommend what pedals to buy for the bike? (something I can use with sneakers)

Saw also XXL has a sale on tires, do any of them look good for road or is the sale not so good?
Tires here - https://www.xxl.se/cykel/reservdelar-verktyg/cykeldack/dack/c/101002_1

Senast ändrad:

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
For casual riding, Race Face Ride in blue will look great on that bike:)
Thanks, I think I will go for those. The price seems good I found them for 400kr.

What do you think of pedals with pins like these ones?

Or are the pins an accident waiting to happen, it looks dangerous but cool.

SIE

Aktiv medlem
Thanks, I think I will go for those. The price seems good I found them for 400kr.

What do you think of pedals with pins like these ones?

Or are the pins an accident waiting to happen, it looks dangerous but cool.
For grip they are awesome but if you ever wear nice leather shoes while riding to the pub then you are putting them at great risk :)

mrbikeman

Ny medlem

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
Hey guys, an update to my post.

I got the gx pro 20 and I love it so far. It's much faster than I expected it to be and feels very lightweight to me. I was able to go max speed 34kmh on my first ride. I haven't rode a bike in 4 years so I need to get back in shape but the bike seems great for my use. It also rides nice over gravel and shitty roads too.

My only issue is my knees feel tight from uphill riding, and I think it's cause the seat is maybe a little low.

Thanks again for the help all!

Peth

Aktiv medlem
To check if your saddle is too low, start off by doing the standard saddle height test: with the pedal in the lowest position place your heel on the pedal while sitting on the saddle – if you have your saddle in a good position your leg should be fully stretched but with a neutral seating position. As we’re all different and no riding position fits all, you might, from this saddle position, want to raise or lower your saddle slightly. If so, start off with only 3-5mm, and see if that helps. If not, raise or lower an additional 3-5mm, etc.

Sam00

Aktiv medlem
Congrats on the new bike! Try spinning in lower gears when going uphill instead of grinding. That should be easier on the knees.

mrbikeman

Ny medlem
To check if your saddle is too low, start off by doing the standard saddle height test: with the pedal in the lowest position place your heel on the pedal while sitting on the saddle – if you have your saddle in a good position your leg should be fully stretched but with a neutral seating position. As we’re all different and no riding position fits all, you might, from this saddle position, want to raise or lower your saddle slightly. If so, start off with only 3-5mm, and see if that helps. If not, raise or lower an additional 3-5mm, etc.
Thank you I'll give it a shot!

Topp
Happyride sparar data i cookies. Genom att använda våra tjänster godkänner du det. Läs mer