Här har ni information direkt från Casey Spangler från Turner:
*************
OK so time for the $.02 of the huge conglomerate known as Turner Bikes. Looking at last years sales, 49% of our bikes were black, 31% silver, 14% red and 6% blue. So the decision to go only to black and silver bikes was based purely on the fact...that is what people are buying!
To answer the questions about the anodizing. It looks great! We love the way it looks and are disappointed to not be able to continue offering it. The reality is that for the majority of you mountain biking is a hobby on one level or another. For us here, fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at things it is not only a hobby but our jobs. Honestly I really like my job. Having a fall our rate of nearly 38% does not allow us to keep this really fun job and continue to satisfy your need for new toys. Anodizing is a multi stage process in which the frame is first critical etched for about 1 minute. It then moves to varied stages of cleansing before it enters a bright dip process. This is the issue. Bright dip removes material. Depending on color it stays in the bright dip for 2-3 minutes. The process has a certain amount of incosistancy depending on where a frame rests on the fixture to hold them. With our pivot system, we hold a tollerance of .005" Anything outside of tollerance will have a very noticable sloppy feeling.
How can our competitors offer ano and we cant. Again back to the tollerance. If you are stuffing a cheap chinease made bearing into a pivot hole, there is no real tollerance issue. In fact the tollerance held in the bearing is so inconsistant that it will never matter. The bike will always feel sloppy and that is just how it is. "Could everyone in class please raise their hand if they absolutely love the latteral rigidity of thier 5 Spot!!!!"
"But Damn it I really want a blue bike!!!" Well here you go: I just called the powdercoated with whom we have worked for years. Many many times he has stripped and repainted bikes for us and other customers. I simply asked him "Mark, if I were an average customer who wanted to get thier bike repainted, what would it cost?" His reply" Uh about $100 depnding on color could get to $150." "Mark does this include the stripping cost." "Yep that is the entire cost" "So what constitutes the price difference" "Pretty much if it is a color I have in stock it will be closer to $100, If I have to order it than closer to $150"
I did a bit of searching on the Internet (not too much, I am supposed to be working) I really couldn't find anyone offering custom colors any longer but it looks like you can have your Turner painted nearly any color under the sun for about $100-$150. So if Bass Boat Pink is you dream (don't laugh we have done one that color) Then there is your answer.
Becuase I am sure it will be the next question. Here is the rundown for colors in 2005
Nitrous: Ano Gold (for some reason ano gold has no affect on the pivots)
Flux: All ball burnished
5 Spot: Semi gloss Black or Metallic Silver. Begining in Oct, the rear ends will go out for ball burnishing also.
6 pack: White or Dark Gray again with polished rear ends.
Highline: All of the frames for 2005 will come raw!
DHR. All frames will be gloss black with a moto inspired decal kit like this year but as opposed to orange, it will have pearl white accesnts.
Now I sincerely apologize if we have offended anyone in our decisions on colors this upcoming year. If anyone can truly not bring themselves to buy our frame solely because of color then I am sorry.
Hopefully the majority of you will focus on the bigger picture. The ride of the bike has always been our main goal. Paint and polish is just a bit of icing on the cake. Hopefully you can now see through our window and hopefully continue to support us.
Thank you
Casey
***************
6-Pack ersätter inte 5-Spot. Den är tyngre och behöver en gaffel med runt 535mm axle to crown height (5-Spot är byggd för lite mer än 500mm).
Jag kanske borde höja priset på den röda 5-Spot som hänger på väggen... ;)